Friday, May 27, 2011

Inmate Testimony

 We receive letters like this quite often and they always encourage us. We thought we would share one with you. This is the original letter in it's unedited form just as we received it. We changed the gentleman's name and certain geographical data to protect his identity but all other details are as he wrote them to us. It's a wonderful testimony of the power of Jesus Christ to set the captives free.

                                                                                   TESTIMONY

     My name is John Doe. I am 25 years old and I was born in Birmingham, Alabama. When I was five years old, my mother moved to Virginia Beach, VA. My real father died when I was three years old. My mother and step-father were drug addicts. When I was eight years old, my step-dad asked me if I thought I was a man yet. Me being young and seeking his attention, I said, "Yes Daddy." He got out a pill bottle and put a pill on a plate. He crushed the pill, snorted it and then handed it to me. I was doing drugs with him every day after that.
    
     My aunt and grandmother were Christians. My aunt took me to church almost every Sunday. I believed in God, but it was hard for me because I felt even if I did get saved, my step-father would still want me to do drugs with him and I couldn't tell anyone about it or I would be considered a snitch.

     I've always had a relationship with God. I will always remember one experience I had with Him. All the way up until I was twelve years old, I had really bad ear problems. They hurt and leaked. If any water got in them, it would become worse. One day I was at church with my aunt and they were having a healing service. My aunt told me to go up to the altar. I went and the preacher asked me, "Do you believe that Jesus can heal you?" I said "Yes, I believe." I haven't  even had an ear ache since!!! God is so amazing!!!

     I was also a cutter. Although I did drugs and cut myself to get happiness, I still felt an emptiness... a void that only God could fill. When I turned 17 years old, my mother and step-father split up. With him gone, I had to get the drugs on my own. I cheated people, I robbed and stole from people, I would do whatever I had to do to get my drugs. 

     After turning 18, I went crazy on a crime spree, robbing and stealing until I was caught by law enforcement and given twenty years in prison. In prison, I went to church services, but continued to use drugs and live the same old life. 

     On November 9, 2009, I went to a church service and felt the conviction of the Holy Spirit. I said to myself, "okay, I'm tired of playing." I asked the Lord Jesus Christ into my heart and gave him my all. 

     I've had so much joy since I gave the Lord my all... a joy no drug or cut could even start to give me. It's like I tell my grandmother, "I'm in prison but I'm freer than I've ever been." Thank you, Lord!!!

     To anyone who may read this testimony, and you're looking for peace, comfort, and joy. There is no greater joy than that which the Lord Jesus Christ gives. Thank You, and God bless you.



Friends, this is what Hope Aglow is all about!  " But how can they call on him to save them unless they believe in him? And how can they believe in him if they have never heard about him? And how can they hear about him unless someone tells them?" Romans 10:14 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!