Monday, September 19, 2011

"I, Paul, write this greeting in my own hand. Remember my chains. Grace be with you." Colossians 4:18




"Remember my chains", Paul doesn't want his friends to forget he is suffering in prison. How easy it is to forget- out of sight, out of mind...right?

 One way to help you remember those who are "in chains", so to speak, is to write to them regularly. The ladies in our local jail are only allowed to have a Bible study twice a month, for ninety minutes. They would like to come more often, but the rules for whatever reason,  forbid it. In order to stay in touch with the girls I decided to write to them once a week. I mail them small booklets which are allowed by the warden and letters and postcards.  It's a great way to keep the gospel in front of them. They love mail and are always very appreciative.

If you are a prison ministry volunteer I would suggest you write regularly to the inmates you minister to. I will write one letter to everyone, and print it and write a small individual note of encouragement at the bottom of each letter. Sometimes I will send a pretty postcard with a verse on it. In the barren colorless world of jail, a cheerful picture with a promise from God's word can mean so much.

Pray for the inmates, ask the Lord to help them share with their friends the encouraging letters you send. The booklets I mail have been passed around and have provided hope in some very dark times for the ladies.



"I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life." 1 John 5:13


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!